You And Mental Health
Five Star Wellbeing is about you, and people like you.
At some point in your life, you or someone close to you will be diagnosed with a mental health problem. At that point you will have to decide what you will need to get and stay well.
Canada now ranks third in developed countries for anti-depressant use. In spite of all our efforts, anti-stigma campaigns such as Bell Let’s Talk Day havn’t been able to change the fact that 1 in 5 Canadians will experience a mental illness at some point in their lives.
If we want to change that, it’s important we begin to examine and address the underlying causes. According to the Canadian Index of Wellbeing: since 1994, our lifestyles are changing dramatically.
We are experiencing more time pressure:
- Only 66.5% of Canadians work regular Monday-Friday daytime working hours – down 8%
- Daily commute times have increased by 40% – equivalent to almost two weeks per year
- Only 1/3 of Canadians are getting sufficient sleep – 7-9 hours per night.
- We are spending 30% less time with friends
We are also spending far less time on leisure and culture:
- One hour less per month on the arts
- 30% less time volunteering in cultural and recreational activities
- Spending 1/3 fewer days on vacation
- Spending 15% less on culture and recreation – almost 6000.00 per year less
In addition, most Canadians are not meeting basic requirements for physical wellbeing which can affect mental health:
- We don’t get the required 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity and muscle and bone strengthening activities each week (Canadian Society for Excercise Physiology)
- According to the Canadian Journal of Public Health, we aren’t getting the required servings of fruits and vegetables. Just three additional services per week can decrease the chance of depression by 60%.
Improving Mental Health
Lifestyle factors such as nutrition, sleep, exercise, meaningful work, healthy relationships and community belonging all play a key role in preventing mental health problems, raising questions about how to distinguish normal human response to suffering from mental illness.
Learn more to keep yourself and those you love healthy and well.
We offer a range Wellbeing Seminars focused on improving the wellbeing and mental health of individuals and organizations.
We also provide in person and online Counselling Therapy for those who need help along the way.
We hope you will join us to be a part of the solution.
Counselling Therapist & Founder, Five Star Wellbeing